Monforte Garden’s originis in the will of the San Juan Marquis, Sr. Juan Bautista Romero (1807-1872), a self-made man, who in 1847 buys “a country house with its garden fenced by a wall and aditch” in an area surrounded by farms of the same characteristics as bought.
The Marquis requests Sebastián Monleón (1815-1878) to turn the orchard into a garden including a new design and the building of the relaxation house. In 1872, the Marquis’ death, the Palace and the garden passed to a Monforte married to the deceased’s niece, from who took the Monforte name.
In 1941, at the request of Xavier de Winthuysen (the Generation of ‘27 gardener of Seville) the garden was declared a National Artistic Garden and its restoration was carried out in collaboration with the architect Alejandro Ferrant and the City Gardener Ramón Peris.
In 1971, through an exchange of land, it became property of the City. Then some important changes occurred. The area of orchards disappeared. The drain of Mestalla, fencing the garden in one of its parts, was covered and its surface was extended by said cover and the adjoining land from the Convent of Hope (Quirón Clinic currently)
In 1984 the Outstanding Parks and Gardens Municipal Public Foundation took it. Between 1986 and 1990 the restoration of the Mansion was performed. Thereafter the entrance to the Garden was removed from its historical access thereby its setup becomes strange when visitors enter through the back door service.
The historic entrance to the Garden pavilion created the visitor nineteenth-century gardening questions. After you get in, you are at a crossroad. On the left, the one leading to the innermost part of the palace via a bifurcating staircase; on the right the “secret garden “can be glimpsed through the barred door. The garden’s gateway is also barred and it is guarded by dragons; this is the picture most depicted by painters who worked on the site. The frontal one faces the exedra where we are greeted by philosophers, writers and poets, meanwhile two lions are guarding the main access gate to the site.
The Monforte Garden was a clear example of the typical Mediterranean garden with its three characteristic constituent units: the area near the house showed a formal garden with box hedges (now spindle tress and myrtle) framing flowering plants: roses, dahlias chrysanthemums, wallflowers, carnations Chinese, etc. The second was the unfortunately now lost orchard area and the third is the recreation of the forest which copies of gardening in vogue at that moment were planted in, what has led to the possibility of enjoying authentic botanical treasuressuch as the big ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba), laurel-leaved snail trees (Cocculuslaurifolius) funeral cypress (Cupressusfunebris), beautiful magnolias (Magnolia grandiflora), or the surprising Cockspur Coral tree (Erythrina crista).
The garden has compositional elements of great beauty and wisdom such as mountains, large pond, water jokes or large pergola, covered with roses before and bougainvilleatoday.
These gardens are a must since on one hand represent the window of the current “technological” gardening (drip irrigation, mechanized pruning, plant Dutch flower, etc.) prevailing in the city, while testify the meaningof the gardens for that enlightened nineteenth-century bourgeoisie.
Currently the Monforte Garden or Romero Garden has the BIC category.
In the downloadable document “Woodland Garden of Monforte” you will find a list of the Monforte Garden’s trees. Whereas in the downloadable document “Monforte Garden’s Historical Evolution” we can see different planes relative to different times.
The Monforte or Romero Garden has an approximate area of 12,000 m2. It is one of the most significant works of nineteenth century gardening.
Beautiful statues, ornamental fountains and carefully worked plant figures, hedges and flower areas, moreover ancient trees and shrubs , make this garden one the most beautiful in the city of Valencia.
The San Juan Marquis, Juan Bautista Romero, bought this house in 1847 with its garden and commissioned Sebastian Monleón the transformation of this orchard into a garden.